2. Article Types
Review Article Types
Review articles present extensive analysis or discussion of research previously published as opposed to reporting new experimental results. In Optica Publishing Group journals, they are mainly by invitation only.
- Review articles present the background and/or overview of a particular field as well as the current state of the field.
- Review articles contain an extensive bibliography or reference list that is balanced across the active research groups in the field, without overemphasizing the authors’ own work.
- Advances in Optics and Photonics is dedicated to comprehensive review and tutorial articles.
- Short review articles focus on a narrow subfield or topic, often that is newly emerging.
- Although shorter than full reviews, these must still include a bibliography or reference list that is balanced across the active research groups in the field, without overemphasizing the authors’ own work.
- Several Optica Publishing Group journals consider Mini-Reviews.
- Tutorials present information on a new technique, process, or system for doing something.
- Most tutorials contain an element of review as background, and are educational in nature.
- Advances in Optics and Photonics, JOSA A, and JOSA B all invite tutorials by key leaders in the field.