9. Peer Review
This section will provide an overview of the various kinds of peer review currently utilized by major scientific journals and describes the complete review process for Optica Publishing Group journals.
Peer review, when done right…
- Helps separate objective fact from opinion and conjecture
- Assesses originality, correctness, and importance of work
- Provides constructive feedback so the author can improve both the science and the paper
- Helps ensure that high quality, original research and information is available for other researchers to build on
- Is a valuable service and a critical part of the scholarly communication process
- And is an increasingly important indicator to help the general public judge the value and validity of scientific information.