Journal of the Optical Society of America A Feature Announcement
Image Quality and Perception
Submission Opens: 1 October 2021
Submission Deadline: 30 November 2021
To accurately estimate and/or enhance the quality of images requires an in-depth understanding of human perception. However, there are still several unsolved challenges when it comes to modelling the human visual system and how these models can be incorporated in quality assessment. This feature issue focuses on image quality and perception, including image and video quality, subjective and objective quality, and enhancement. We particularly encourage submissions that address both visual perception and quality of images and video. Theoretical research, applied research, and application specific innovations such as those in medical imaging and the automotive environment will be considered.
Topics to be covered include but are not limited to:
- Objective image/video quality assessment, including no-reference, reduced-reference and full- reference techniques
- Subjective image/video quality assessment
- Modelling of the human visual system
- Image statistics and natural-image statistics
- Quality of image capture, hardware, pre-processing and implementation
- Image/video quality assessment in extended reality, high dynamic range, tone mapping, printing, displays, etc.
- Application and evaluation of image quality in specific fields (e.g. medical imaging, graphic industry, motion picture)
- Image/video enhancement
- Deep-learning models and machine-learning techniques to evaluate the quality of images/videos
- Large-scale subjective datasets for image/video quality
All papers need to present original, previously unpublished work, and will be subject to the normal standards and peer-review process of the journal. Manuscripts must be prepared according to the usual guidelines for submission to JOSA A and must be uploaded through Prism's manuscript submission system. When submitting, please specify that the manuscript is for the "Image Quality and Perception" feature issue (choose from the drop-down menu).
Feature Issue Guest Editors:
Marius Pedersen, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway (Lead Editor)
Seyed Ali Amirshahi, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway
Jean Baptiste Thomas, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway
Mini Das, University of Houston, USA
Paola Iacomussi, INRIM, Italy
Edoardo Provenzi, Université de Bordeaux, France